What’s in Season: Strawberries
“If there were wild strawberries in Eden, and there must have been, Adam was a fool as well as a sinner to taste any other fruit.”
Hal Borland – Journalist
One of the most anticipated eats of the summer are strawberries! They are a worldwide favorite, and grown in every province in Canada. Aboriginal communities ate strawberries as a treat! They were freshly picked and eaten as is or baked into breads. If you’re thinking about growing your own, you should know that the strawberry plant is perennial. If you plant it, it will continue to come back. However, the plant may no fruit immediately, but once it does, it will only produce fruit for five years.
A fact not very known but green strawberries are also edible! Many chefs request green strawberries or unripe strawberries to be pickled. Next time you go picking maybe grab a quart of unripe ones and make yourself that interesting bite. To store ripe strawberries wait until you eat them to rinse and cut their stems. Rinsing them speeds up the spoiling process.
Did you know?
- Strawberries contain high levels of nitrate. Nitrate enables higher flow of blood and oxygen to the muscles. Before you hit the gym, have some strawberries as a snack to increase your endurance.
- 1 cup of freshly picked strawberries is only 50 calories.
- Strawberries are packed with potassium which aid in muscle functioning including heart contraction.
- Strawberries are part of the “dirty dozen” list, which highlights how prone they are to carrying pesticides. It is recommended that they are purchased organic.
Here are a few fun things that are inspired by the madness that is Strawberry love!
- Check out this fantastic 3 minute animated video titled Strawberry Fields Forever by Grammy-winning band La Santa Cecilia as they showcase the journey of strawberries, from fields tended to by farmworkers to table.
- Love strawberries? Then maybe you can show your love with a Strawberry Necklace
- Everyone knows all the fun classic dishes featuring strawberries, but have you ever seen this one? Sfoglia’s Spaghetti with Strawberries
- This is not a joke, in Japan last year Pink Strawberry Milk Pepsi was sold as a limited time flavor.
- Most people are familiar with the classic character Strawberry Shortcake, but did you know that there was a video game made by Atari in the 80’s? You have to check this out: Strawberry Shortcake – Musical Match-ups (Atari 2600) .
- Lastly, if you think you love strawberries, you don’t love them as much as Turtles love Strawberries .